Ticket Stubs #10: I'm History


I made personal history as a student at San Diego State University in April 2004, when I borrowed catch phrases from authors Stephen King and Peter Straub and American Idol host Ryan Seacrest, and began writing reviews on YahooGroups on a semi-weekly basis. By the second posting, I had decided to make it a weekly column on the site and had given it the name SWAT Ticket, in reference to Leonard Maltin's weekly review show Hot Ticket. Around the fourth issue, I decided that good movies were getting hard to find (or maybe just that average movies were getting harder to tolerate), and that truly good movies deserved a special honor. So I came up with the Most Wanted Movie of the Week award, reserved for movies of good enough quality to score in the A range.
In 2007, I briefly moved the column to the blogging site Today.com (which now re-directs to an NBC news site because the paid-blogging site was eventually exposed as a scam), then switched over to MySpace in hopes of drawing a bigger audience (and because I thought Today.com was a scam out to steal my intellectual property). Other milestones include the title change to SW@ Ticket in 2005, the 2004 banning of GodsOfMelee from SDSU that spawned the Out Of Order Boxed Set (my next Ticket Stubs release, following the first issue of Cover Charge), and the launching of several side projects, including the critical preview column SW@ Ticket Sniperscope (the precursor to Coming Distractions) and the rant-some insanity of SW@ the Hell? (a.k.a. Piece Offerings) in 2004, as well as the music review column SW@ Soundtrack (no lawsuits from producer Elliot Goldenthal, please) in 2005. Over time, I amassed over 50 posts, covering over 200 movies, albums, and books.
I hope you have enjoyed this 50,000 foot view of the history of SW@ Ticket, and to those of you who have been holding your tickets, saving your stubs, marching in the Dead Parade, waiting smart, and staying tuned since February 18th of the year 2012, I say thank you.
Forget the Cover Charge, Ticketholders! Next post is on the house! Or maybe I'll just have Mary Shelly pick up the tab since her book was so boring. More on that moron next time. Time to go enjoy some high-quality A.C. It's getting hot in here and my parrot is whistling like a madman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zenescope - Omnibusted #18: Tales From Wonderland

One Piece Multi-Piece #7: Impel Down

Just the Ticket #142: Alien Resurrection