Ticket Stubs #57: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Article by Sean Wilkinson,
a.k.a. the Ticketmaster,
Hoping you had a Happy Valentine's Day!

Back in the RWBY Tuesday series, I spoke a little about the Blue Collar Comedy Tour franchise and how certain jokes (with or without sarcastic finger quotations) have stuck in my head over the years. I slightly misremembered the phrasing (and totally forgot the context) of this particular joke, and like most Blue Collar material (with the exception of Ron White, who should be classified as a National Treasure), parts of it could now be considered to have aged poorly (sexist, chauvinist, insensitive to suicide, etc.), but because I needed a clever review title at the time and algorithmic demonetization wasn't a thing yet, I called the original review FROM July 24, 2006, SW@ Ticket #50: Why Are You Putting Your Gun In Your Mouth? Even the If the Lyric Fits at the end references making oral or visual contact with the barrel of a firearm...because it's Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, get it?

Speaking of "get it" (because I'm reaching harder than Elastigirl for a transition here), don't for-get it to please share the love by remembering to Become A Ticketholder if you haven't already, comment your true feelings at the bottom of this post, help out my ad revenue as you read, and choo-choo-choose me on TumblrRedditFacebook, and LinkedIn to like what you see and receive the latest heart-shaped boxes of news on my content. And now, here's the review as originally written from my Yahoo! Groups days, which means it spoils the good parts and has some of what I considered humor at the time because words that double-entendre as male sex parts are funny:

Thank you, Jeff Foxworthy, for providing me with a title for this week's review. With nothing more to say, let's get on with a review of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

Val Kilmer is a gay private detective (or private dick, if you will) hired on as a consultant for a big police drama. Robert Downey, Jr., is a criminal who accidentally gets hired to play a detective in said drama, then accidentally gets involved in a case that he must pretend to be a detective in order to solve (plus it'll help him get into his dream girl's pants). Downey, Jr., provides cuttingly comic narration and has equally funny dialogue with Kilmer while chopping through the many twists and turns of their case, shooting bad guys under very strange circumstances, and kissing said dream girl. Action, comedy, sex, great writing, and confusing plot twists; Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang has it all.
A

A quick note: As y'all know by now, I usually end my reviews with the Quote of the Week, a little bit of wisdom or cool lyricism that seems in step with the current review. Since my posts are no longer weekly and are more lyric than wisdom (Redneck Dictionary use: I had two kidney stones, but I wisdom both out), I decided to start calling it If the Lyric Fits.
Here it is, so wear it: "She's a runner, rebel and a stunner
On her merry way, saying 'baby, whatchu gonna?'
Lookin down the barrel of a hot metal .45
Just another way to survive"
-Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Dani California," Stadium Arcadium (Jupiter)

SW@,
out.

Those of you who weren't around for the Yahoo! Groups days, or even the beginning of my Blogger run, might not be familiar with the Quote/Lyric closer gimmick, so consider the above "as you know" to be irrelevant. But also note it as a piece of my critical history as you share the love by remembering to Become A Ticketholder if you haven't already, comment your true feelings at the bottom of this post, help out my ad revenue as you read, and choo-choo-choose me on TumblrRedditFacebook, and LinkedIn to like what you see and receive the latest heart-shaped boxes of news on my content.

To close out this present review, there is one thing of note that I wasn't of the mind to include when I was focused more on having an egotistical, "funny" persona than being informative, and it gives you present and future Ticketholders out there something to read after this. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was written and directed by Shane Black, the screenwriter of the original Lethal Weapon, which I did a review of for my Christmas Special last year. So if you aren't one of the over five-hundred people (at the time of this writing) who looked at it or read it already, please give that review some love at the link provided.
Next week, The Incredibles get the Valentine's Day Ticket Stubs treatment because love is for family, most of all.

Ticketmaster,
Out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zenescope - Omnibusted #18: Tales From Wonderland

One Piece Multi-Piece #7: Impel Down

Just the Ticket #142: Alien Resurrection