NPO #4: The Grain

This is a poem/rap/whatever that I wrote after I graduated college and left my job at Ralph's (that's Fred Meyer up here in the Northwest), when I was feeling stuck, hopeless, directionless, and generally displeased with myself for how I treated both my professional and academic lives. I think I was staring at an hourglass or one of those perpetual motion oil bead/lava lamp things, and I felt inspired to work through my feelings creatively. So here it is:
"The Grain"
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Boys and Girls
who would feel His voice
flow over us and leave pearls
of wisdom
like we were polished by a river,
but we can't take the current
though we love that He's a giver.
So we revel in His music
as we live in the past,
looking for our future
as it passes too fast
and turns to present;
the gift we all squander,
watching it slip away
(as we all ramble and wander)
through our dumbly splayed
fingers,
We try like hell to save
the one grain that lingers;
clenching our fists,
we grit our teeth and fight
to turn back our watches
and set ourselves right.
Again, we bite
our tongues 
to help distract from the pain
we feel when we convince ourselves
we battle in vain,
losing that grain
through the glass that is
the days of our lives,
we try to end it slow
with booze and pills
or quickly with knives
and guns.
But as we look into
the face that is death,
we feel the hope and love
that come 
from those of us
whom we would have left
behind us,
and find the grain 
that we all thought we had lost.
It was life we lived and struggled for,
whatever the cost.
Such a thing is priceless, well
worth every pleasure and hurt
whether you believe in Heaven, Hell,
or boxes in dirt.
So when you hit rock bottom,
remember where you have been,
or you will start that vicious cycle all over again.
                               -Sean Wilkinson
Let me know what you think in the comments, remember to leave a like, and click on some ads so I can get rich! Haha. No, seriously, I need money, folks!
Also, stay tuned for another Ticketverse Throwback later tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zenescope - Omnibusted #18: Tales From Wonderland

One Piece Multi-Piece #7: Impel Down

Just the Ticket #142: Alien Resurrection