New Piece Offerings #2: Prodigal Sun

I once had what I thought was love. It was more of an infatuation, an obsession with the idea of love, than actual attraction to a person. But it blinded me all the same. I ignored her faults, and even thought some of them were endearing for awhile. But some combination of waiting too long and not being aware of the completely one-sided nature of our non-relationship (or that she already had two sides with someone else) led to drama that I spent several years trying to get over. In an effort to do so, I took the wise words of several of my favorite musicians, a few mythology references, and my own creative spirit, and came up with the following, originally titled "Prodigal Sun":

"How I Learned to Stop Loving and Live the Day"
Like the Prodigal Sun, I rise every mornin'
Sailors take warnin'
Cuz red skies are formin'
In my head Like A Storm, an'
The way you hate
makes my heart warm, an'
I try to reform, but
I'm sick
I live in dread of the fix.
I give,
Grateful and Dead,
A gentleman and a prick
with no Stones. They Roll
from Helter to Skelter
like dung Beatles,
All I Need Is Love but still
You Gimme No Shelter.
I'm Sysiphus on the hill
in Tartarus where I swelter.
You Give Me Fever,
heart-melter.
Soul-stealer,
make me Jealous.
Nothing-feeler,
I feel hellish.
Words awkward and embellished,
second-guessed by the second
every second I tell it,
'til I say "to Hell with it!"
I feel like shit;
can you smell it?
My headspace is a shake-up
from heartspace you take up.
Love never took place there,
so I can't call it a breakup.
I think about your face,
and it makes me hate love.
I wanna throw up,
I've Got A Disease.
Prelude to a blow-up?
Bitch, please.
All you have is a boomerang
I don't need to receive,
so change the breeze.
Hate, Fuck Off
with the greatest of ease.
Sadness, Zig-Zag from the Tops
of my eyes, dissipate and freeze.
Gladness, a dead memory,
shot and burned on the seas.
In a Viking pyre,
my mind flees
from the day I don't seize,
and I get on my knees
cuz you're a pedestal
that I put on a shelf.
My head is ill;
you're bad for my health.
I've had my fill
of doing this to myself.
These rhymes are a quick fix,
just bandages and makeup.
This dawn is a new day;
maybe I should just wake up.
          -Sean Wilkinson
                                  (because that's my real name)

Next time on New Piece Offerings (henceforth to be abbreviated as NPO in future posts), I will share two more raps/poems/whatever you want to call them, that I wrote--and stupidly posted on Facebook for all the drama-loving world to see--during a "rough spot" in our "relationship."

Poetrymaster,
out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zenescope - Omnibusted #18: Tales From Wonderland

One Piece Multi-Piece #7: Impel Down

Just the Ticket #142: Alien Resurrection