GFT Retrospective #9: An Issue With Warts

Good morning, Ticketholders!
I seem to "enjoy" discussing my faults a lot lately, from my lack of appreciation for a job I held for five years and my inability to start or maintain a meaningful relationship, to the fact that I had to get up at the sphincter of dawn this morning and run to work to deliver something important that I accidentally took home with me last night. I guess I'll just have to add global self-deprecation to my list of faults to discuss at a later date.
Another fault of mine (one that has helped me not deal with all of the faults I notice in myself) is venting about the faults I notice in others. For the purposes of this post, let's call them warts, and begin with what a stretch the premise of today's issue of Grimm Fairy Tales is.

GFT #10: The Frog King
Sela teaches biology now, because plat convenience! It’s frog-dissection day, and pretty girl Lizette is grossed out by both her dead frog and her lab partner Neville’s birthmark. Enter Sela, with a fairy tale about not judging a book by its cover--so to speak.
Lizette’s sense of deja vu is something that has come up in a few other issues with other characters, which when coupled with the mechanics of Sela’s book, hints at not just each character having a sense of having read their respective fairy tales before, but at the fairy tales actually being past lives for those characters.
In the fairy tale, Lizette becomes Calliope, a princess so vain that she has a giant portrait of herself over her own bed, next to which is a talking looking glass that tells her how beautiful she is (yes, another talking mirror). Her vanity is so severe that even though she looks like she does, she thinks she has to drink from a magic well to enhance her beauty.
Watching from the shadows are a scar-faced young man in the forest and a talking frog at the bottom of the well. The frog does Calliope a kindness, and conceited girl that she is, she chucks it out the palace window, where the scarred youth (who is the fairy tale incarnation of Neville) finds it lying in its own blood and returns it to the well.
The frog comes back in human form and takes revenge on Calliope.
Back in the framing scenario, Lizette fails to heed her lesson and suffers a similar fate. No blatant spoiler of what that fate is, but the issue is called The Frog King, and given Zenescope’s tendency to be punny with their character names, you can probably guess it easily for yourself.
Beyond the obvious shared looking glass reference between this issue, Snow White, and Wonderland, there is nothing of consequence to note. Fits nicely with the feel of Grimm Fairy Tales so far, but it’s still another filler episode, inside and out.

If you found this post worth discussing, warts and all, light up the comments section, don't forget to leave a like, and click me up some ad revenue. Stay tuned after some research for a revised look at another rather unknown fairy tale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zenescope - Omnibusted #18: Tales From Wonderland

One Piece Multi-Piece #7: Impel Down

Just the Ticket #142: Alien Resurrection