Bring Back the Soundtrack #5: Love Story

Holleratchee, and greetings of all kinds, Ticketholders! It's been a long time since I posted anything to the Ticket verse. Between remixes, Heromachine, work, my novel (which I started over roughly five times, after writing over a hundred pages that ultimately went nowhere) I haven't had the time or desire to keep up with all the new movies, books, and music that comes out. Then there was this:

Like all great music that draws my attention these days, I heard about Yelawolf's Love Story album on Skratch 'n' Sniff, promoted through the single, "Til It's Gone," which was also featured in an episode of Sons of Anarchy. I immediately started looking through his old material, and discovered that he had worked with big names like Eminem, Travis Barker, Kid Rock, and Ed Sheeran. Although first deemed too obscure for the mainstream, Yela has proven that he can spit rapid-fire rhymes in step with Shady (also the producer on Love Story), and shatter genre boundaries through his collaborations with Barker and Sheeran.
Now, after a teaser album (an unofficial greatest hits) and a Skratch 'n' Sniff album release party that lent insight into Yela's creative process, we get to Love Story. Ever since Kid Rock made the switch from rap-rock to modern country, I've been waiting for an album like this. From the hilarious alien abduction intro to the "Devil Went Down to Georgia"-inspired closer, "Fiddle Me This," Yela brings a fairly balanced, solid collection of both well-constructed raps and flawless R&B vocals, all with Yela's signature Alabama flavor. Granted, like most hip-hop albums, even really good ones, Love Story falls into vanilla territory in the last few songs before "Fiddle Me This" wraps things up, but the album as a whole flows in such a way that I wasn't just waiting impatiently to hear the next single. I'm currently enjoying my second uninterrupted listen. More Vanillabama ice cream, please.
A-

I don't know what I'll post next or when, but stay tuned.

Ticketwolf,
Out Story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zenescope - Omnibusted #18: Tales From Wonderland

One Piece Multi-Piece #7: Impel Down

Just the Ticket #142: Alien Resurrection